Let’s learn about how It’s All From The Earth…
- Everything comes from the Earth. Our homes, clothing, food, entertainment, transportation. All of it comes from the earth!
- When we remove raw materials from the earth, this is called extraction. Some types of extraction are logging, mining, and fishing.
- Some raw materials take thousands or millions of years to develop or accumulate, such as oil and gas, coal, and old growth forests.
Try the activity below to take action:
- Nature Harvest: Go for a nature walk and harvest something that you can use at home. Examples are: wild strawberries, firewood, a campfire roasting stick for hot dogs/marshmallows, a beautiful stone to decorate your room, supplies for a craft project, or whatever you can dream up. Some rules of harvesting from nature are:
- Rules of harvesting from nature: Do not collect from private land (unless you have the landowners permission. If it is food, make sure you are absolutely 100% sure of what you are collecting since some plants are poisonous. Do not collect from polluted areas.Do not take more than you need, or can be replenished by nature.Leave no trace.
Choose one of the topics below to write about:
- What is something that you extracted or harvested from the earth this year? How are you grateful?
- What are some examples of resource extraction in your area? Hint: think of the types of jobs people in your community have
- Can you think of a natural resource that is very important in your life? What is it and how does it sustain you?
Check out some of our favorite videos:
- FernGully: The Last Rainforest animated movie
Come play a Kahoot with us: