Let’s learn about Earth Day…
- Earth is our home and a pretty great one at that!
- Every year on April 22, Earth Day marks the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970.
- Today, Earth Day is widely recognized as the largest secular observance in the world, marked by more than a billion people every year as a day of action to change human behavior and create global, national and local policy changes.
- Earth Day is a reason to remember how important our planet earth is.
Choose one of the engaging activities below to take action:
- EcoChallenge: Do an EcoChallenge of your choice! Involve your friends and/or family for extra fun.
- Litter Clean-Up: Picking up litter is one of the easiest ways to make an impact. Simply go for a walk with a garbage bag and gloves and you might be surprised what you’ll find.
- Earth Year! Create a list of action items that you and your family/class can do together. Assign one per month for the rest of the year, and do them!
- Letter Writing: Are you passionate about a big issue? Maybe something that takes more than a few people to solve? Writing letters to people in power, like politicians and other well-known decision-makers can go a long way. Do some research on your topic so you can include some facts, and choose the appropriate person to write a letter to. Tell them how you support strong environmental action.
- Comic Strip: Create your own comic strip about a team of superheroes whose job is to protect planet Earth. What would you call your superhero team? Would they have any special powers? Who would their enemies be? Share your story with others
- Make a Public Commitment: Choose to make a difference. Pick one action that is achievable for you (not too small, not too big) and work towards a positive impact for the planet. Make a sign to share your commitment (ex. I commit to doing…) and sign your name to it. Then, take a photo of your sign (and you in it, if you’re allowed) and share it with your family and friends. You could even make reminder signs or tools to help you achieve your commitment. Check out Ms. Kim’s example, and Earth Day Canada for suggestions.
Choose one of the topics below to write about:
- I appreciate the Earth because…
- The Earth needs our help because…
- Earth Day is a once-per-year celebration of our planet. Why is this a good thing? Why might this not be a good thing?
- Individual actions and larger broad-scale industry changes are needed to fight climate change. Why are both types solutions important?
- My favorite part of the Earth is…
- What would you share with the world, if everyone would listen to you?
Check out some of our favorite Earth Day videos:
- Read: Anything by Greta Thunberg, including this book:, “No One is Too Small to Make a Difference”.
- CNN article: Greta Thunberg isn’t alone. Meet some other young activists who are leading the environmentalist fight
Come play a Kahoot with us…