Let’s learn about Real Food…
- We are so lucky to have so many different choices for the types of food we eat.
- Some of the food we find on the grocery store shelves can be made with ingredients that we can’t even pronounce.
- Eating whole, nutritious, and unpackaged food is better for us than eating food that is processed.
- Real Food can be defined with 5 “N” words including Nutritious, Natural, Near, Naked & Now
- The more REAL food we eat the healthier we are and the better it is for the planet.
Choose one of the engaging activities below to take action:
- Real Food Challenge: With your family, make an entire meal with as many “real” food components as possible. Can you make something that checks off all 5 “N’s”: Nutritious, Natural, Near, Naked, Now?
- No Bake Challenge: Make one of these delicious, simple No Bake recipes found here.
- Commercial Count: What percentage of food commercials do you think are for REAL food? Make a hypothesis, and conduct a research experiment. While watching TV, record how many food commercials you see. How many are for REAL food, and how many are for non-real, processed food. Calculate the percentage of REAL food commercials and compare with your hypothesis. What do you think about the results?
Choose one of the topics below to write about:
- What did you eat for dinner last night? Describe if/how all or part of it was “real” food. Think about the 5 “N’s”: Nutritious, Natural, Near, Naked, Now.
- The world would be different if everyone grew their own food because…
- Imagine if we didn’t have big grocery stores, but only had farmer’s markets instead. How would things be different?
- Pick one of the 5 N’s, and explain why it is important to the health of the Earth.
Check out some of our favourite Real Food videos:
Come play a Kahoot with us…