Let’s learn more about debating…
- One key to doing well in a debate is actually listening well and staying calm and focused throughout.
- Debating is an incredible life skill which can help in so many ways as all kinds of situations!
- In the debate process you will learn:
- how to express yourself and your position on something
- speak confidently about your topic, based on facts
- respond with a great rebuttal because you listened well
Choose one or more of the engaging activities below to take action:
- A Good Debater is… Draw a poster that shows the elements of what a good debater is.
- Debate yourself – Can you debate both sides of an argument. GIve it a try
Choose one of the topics below to write about:
- Do you think you were successful in your debate? Did you get your point across?
- What would you do differently?
- Did your opinion change based on the arguments from the other participants?
Check out some of our favourite Debating videos:
- Book – Public Speaking for Kids, Tweens, and Teens – Confidence for Life! by David Nemzoff – Everyone can develop self-confidence and powerful leadership and social interaction skills at home. Public Speaking for Kids, Tweens, and Teens single-student edition is a do-it-yourself at home public speaking training program designed for youth ages 8 to 18. The parents and student do NOT need to know anything about public speaking to use this program.
- Movie – Candy Jar by Ben Shelton – This movie has a TV-14 rating so parents should not allow kids under 14 to watch this unattended. It features two high school students who love debate on a journey to settle their personal differences!
Come play a Kahoot with us…